Making the Switch


Last week, I bought my very first electric scooter. I had sold my beloved car a few years back in exchange for a new life in Hawaii.  My first year without a car was a difficult transition.  I realized how dependent I was on cars and oil.  But since I was riding a beach cruiser through the streets of Waikiki in 80 degree weather year round, I couldn't complain too much!

But like all dreams, our time on the islands came to an end, and I found myself back in the nitty gritty city of San Diego, unemployed and car-less. I had to do something, and fast.  This is how it all began.  

It was beautiful, and it was electric.  No license, no registration, no insurance, no noise, and no gas!!  The man selling it was Mr. Brad Voisen of Voisen Motors.  I researched his company online and found a website.  They looked like nice people, and I was happy to be buying from an actual business rather than a private seller.

When we checked out the bike at Mr. Voisen's home in Encinitas, he seemed like a friendly old fellow.  He showed us how the bike worked, and watched us ride down the street a few times.  He assured us that the bike was in good condition.  We chatted with him for a while about the importance of alternative energy, and I told him how excited I was to be able to do my part.  I couldn't wait to take my new ride home!
 As you can see, I was thrilled.  The first two days were great!  I got myself a helmet, and  I dug out my leather jacket and gloves.  I got complements everywhere I went, and people were asking me for information so frequently that I started to carry business cards around with me to give out at stop lights.  I was keeping up with traffic, doing errands around town, and having a great time.  I even thought about becoming an electric scooter dealer.  On the third night, my guy and I went for a ride downtown.  We were laughing and giggling and having a great time.

Suddenly the scooter started making a horrible grinding noise and refused to accelerate. It stopped in the middle of the street and we had to push it back to the house.  It was not a fun walk.

Of course, I was devastated.  Here I was, with a $1,400.00 scooter that no longer worked, no way to get parts, and a crushing feeling that I had been completely ripped off.  I cried for a while.  Then I contacted Voisen's mechanic, who told us he doesn't work on electric vehicles!  He also said some pretty bad things about Voisen and his bikes.  I contacted Voisen, who was not much help.  I really don't think he cares about me or the bike.
So, after my initial disappointment, I was to determined to fix the scooter.  Steve agreed to help me, and we have been online ever since, contacting obscure companies in China in hopes of finding the exact parts that we think we need.  We have no idea what we are doing.  Even if we get the parts, we are unsure of how to install them, and there are no scooter places in San Diego that seem to be able or willing to help us.  

We have visited forums, searched websites, watched youtube videos, emailed suppliers, and talked to people in California, Florida, Canada, and Mexico, but no can give us the help we need.  I am worried that the cost of the new motor and controller will just be more money on top of what I have already lost.  China is asking for almost $600.00 for the parts, and we are not even sure if it is a legitimate company. Just writing about it makes me want to cry.  

I am disappointed that I can't get what I need in the U.S. I am disgusted in myself for being taken advantage of.  I am desperate to find a way to get to work, and in spite of it all, I still really want to fix it!

This has been such a sad week for me, on top of a very sad year.  After losing the pregnancy in November, I thought the worst had to be over.  But it has been just one disappointment after another.  Are there no honest people left in the world?  Is everyone out there just trying to make a quick buck?  

Well, I do know one honest person, and that is my boyfriend Steve, who promised me he would do everything he could to get me back on the road.  He has been on the computer for 4 days straight trying to figure out what to do, and I miss him.  We are both exhausted and irritable.  I feel like such a fool. 

I will continue to update this blog, so that maybe I can save other people the time, money and heartache that I have gone through with this. I believe that electric vehicles are the future, and that we just need to keep trying.  I am truly a pioneer in this field.  If anyone out there can help me in any way, please do.  

Here is some video of the problem...

5 comments:

  1. The BE comes standard with painted wheels and front and rear fenders and the white/grey version has painted spokes too, giving it a very clean and classy look.


    womens beach cruisers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe, plug and unplug all cables from controller, several times can help. loose connectors/cables can cause this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really friendly staff, definitely a big part of the community in Bernal (a lot of pride in the neighborhood, plus they seemed to know all the other customers). electric bikes nz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Electric scooter now available of every brands because these are mostly buying scooter, Due to Eco friendly, stylish design

    ReplyDelete
  5. They looked like nice people, and I was happy to be buying from an actual business rather than a private seller.mobility scooters

    ReplyDelete